Thursday night at 11pm is when we will know definitively just how poor our transfer window has been as it slams shut and clubs can no longer do business.
However, there is still hope that something could happen between now and then with reports coming out of Belgium today via HLN (h/t The Chronicle) that Newcastle could be about to launch a late bid for the 18-year-old Norwegian Antonio Nusa.
Brentford are said to be in talks with the young forward but the reports in Belgium suggest Newcastle are poised to try and hijack that deal.
Nusa has bagged three goals and two assists in 16 appearances in the Belgium league so far this season and has played right across the front three in doing so.
He's young, versatile and pacey, all things we could do with having in the side right now, but given our current state of play with transfers, namely that we can't afford any, this one seems very unlikely to happen.
If, however, the Brentford move fails to go through, Nusa is one that Newcastle may revisit in the summer.
At the moment he doesn't sound like he's ready for our first team anyway, as scouting reports have said that he's easily shrugged off the ball and also isn't confident in the air, which are two components of play that he would have to work on to be successful in the Premier League.
As far as whether we will try and get any business done under the wire this week, it seems highly improbable. With the club's finances being what they are and time being what it is, it just doesn't feel possible.
It's not the best, but this is the hand we've been dealt, but our cards are coming in the summer.
We're looking for talented writers and social media wizards to join our team. No experience required. To apply, email us with a bit about yourself, and some sample work/ideas.